Stilting

That’s probably what this tiger beetle is doing. It would alternately relax then stretch up on its toes like this…or what passes for beetle toes. It’s a heat regulation tactic apparently. I’ve seen dragonflies doing it, but not these guys. Although I’ve encountered them quite a bit, I’ve never photographed one because they’re so skittish. Bright sun isn’t the best for many subjects, but it is for these guys because it’s the only way to show how brilliantly metallic they are. Like they’re covered in emerald dust with touches of sapphire on the legs. It’s about an inch long.

It’s either wrinkle-fronted or six-spotted since my book says some six-spotteds may have fewer spots. Confounding. Had the long zoom on so there was some distance and it didn’t dash into the grass. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one fly. Now I’ve seen it close up, I’m glad I’m not on the receiving end of that mouth! The group of tiger beetles is large and they’re so named for their hunting abilities. They prefer sandy environments.

If the sun ever comes out again and I find another in the driveway, I’ll try to get a lower angle and maybe better focus on the labrum (which being light like this means it’s male). I learned that the labrum is part of the mouth.

Specific Feedback Requested

If I get another chance with one of these…how would you like to see it presented? They hang around the driveway a lot so I probably will.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
P/L 100-400mm f/4-6.3 @ 364.0 mm (728.0 mm in 35mm)
f/8 | 1/500 sec | ISO 200
Handheld

Lr processed to maximize the color and the crispness along with a crop and wb adjustment. Had to darken the eye a bit with a local brush treatment.

@the.wire.smith
3 Likes

Kris, I’ve never seen one of these guys, so I’m enjoying not only his position you captured him in, but the shape and color as well. Very interesting position. I’m so glad you were able to capture this. The low profile really makes this shot even the better. I can’t think of anything to improve the image.

1 Like

Hi Kristen! I like Tiger Beetles! I think they’re so beautiful! This is a nice detailed image. To answer your question about how to present one next time. Maybe a front, head shot? Looking straight at the beetle looking at you! This is really neat too especially catching him doing something interesting!

1 Like

Wonderful photo Kris. Being a good photographer is quite different than someone walking by and say Why is she photographing that. The angle and dof is excellent and the sharpness and color are well done. Very well done Kris

1 Like

Thanks everyone.

An insatiable curiosity about nature keeps me shooting. I have shed a lot of my socialized disgust at the things we think are icky or weird. Even hornets and wasps get a pass after decades of fear and freakouts. Yesterday on the walk to the mailbox (about a mile round trip) I rescued nightcrawlers out of the wet street.

1 Like

Nicely done. Good job getting so low. Hard to get to eye level when the beetle is on the ground and also hard to get such good focus handholding when that low. I like the idea of head on . Front quarter would also be good to see.

1 Like

Kris, this is a good look at this beetle. I especially like how you’ve caught the green to blue iridescence change.

1 Like

Thanks David & Mark. They are really striking insects and I didn’t nail the focus in a few, but this one is pretty decent. No sun today or for the next many days so no new shots forthcoming.

Kris: This is certainly a keeper both for the subject and the capture. Superb DOF/POF management and I love the iridescent color. Top notch. >=))>

1 Like

Thanks @Bill_Fach - it would have been a lot harder without dual IS, that’s for sure.

And thanks for the Editor’s Pick. :grinning: Not bad for a wee bug!

This one is a beauty Kristen,. and these ones are quick too. Your choice of using a long lens has resulted in a beauty. Am just about waiting for that lower angle.

Balan Vinod