Anticipating Avian Behavior

This is a Snowy Owl from 2014 ( haven’t had much luck lately though :slight_smile: )
Sachuests, Newport, RI

Adding a little real estate to the bird’s right - makes sense - only a little pano-iso now - I also reduced the brighter area below the owl. Thanks for your suggestions @Lyle_Gruby, @Hans_Overduin

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
1/1250secs / F 4.0 / iso 1250
Nikon D300 with a 600mm lens
In those days iso handling wasn’t as good - hence I chose the max I thought that the d300 could take - iso 1250, knowing I needed a reasonable shutter speed - with bigger slower birds one can get away with slower shutter speeds

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Great image. You certainly did a good job in getting the shot of the owl flying at you with good facila detail. I like how it stands out from the background.

Wonderful to get it flying right at you, Karl. I’m assuming you positioned yourself up-wind? I love the soft look of the background and foreground.

Yes Dennis - I was waiting for somebody to ask.

There were 50 photographers in the parking lot all pointing their guns at this snowy, finishing its meal mostly embedded in the grass, shooting away - not so exciting right ?
I figured out the wind and went away from the group. Set up with the wind behind me…bingo!

Excellent image, Karl - your anticipation worked out well for you ! Love the way the surrounding complement the color of the eyes. No nits - simply great ! Cheers, Hans
ps since I’m a fan of ‘empty space’ you may consider to set the frame up a little wider, should you have that in the original image.

1 Like

Because of its wing span, it then becomes more pano-is
but i will look at it again - thanks

It usually works that way, if the light allows it. However, some birds are pretty cagey about changing directions in a big hurry once they’re airborne.

1 Like

Beautiful image Karl, now that/s a winner. Tack sharp too.

1 Like

Thanks Allen
As you know, standing out against a soft background is a function of the aperture used, the distance between the bird and background, and the lens itself - a 600mm lens DOF is much less than a 300 or a 100 mm lens

This is gorgeous. The bird looks sharp, and the dark treeline in the BG really sets it off. I also love the faint texture of the brush below the bird. My only suggestion for improvement is that the bird is a little tight in the frame, especially on the left side (the bird’s right wing). If you have any additional room, I think you could add a bit.

I have the real estate - will redo this again - I think that it will make it more pano-ish - lets see

Thanks for your generous observations Lyle

Beautiful image - love the eyes and the straight on look. Adding the room helped I think. Very nice frame!