Another Snowy Image

This is the same Snowy on the same overly bright day (“they” promised clouds but they didn’t show up where I wanted them) I know it’s a bit blown out on the left, but it does have it’s eyes slightly open.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any feedback would be great

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Does the crop work as a square, any help is appreciated.

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon 5D 1V 500mm f/4, tripod
ISO 200 f/8.0 1/640 -1 EV

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hi Hali,
I think you handled the exposure well here actually. I maybe noticed just a small blotch of over exposure on the larger image but you have good detail in the shadows without noticeable noise (and that is most of the bird). The crop is kind of tricky but I’m okay with it having the small tree on the right to anchor the composition. TFS.

Beautiful capture, Hali. I love the low angle you shot him at.

Hello Hali! I’m envious of your catch! I like the image very much, nice choice of dof. The lighting is fine for me. I’m wondering if there is just a bit too much empty space at top? I’d be tempted to remove the top third, it doesn’t seem to contribute much to the image. But just my humble opinion. I’m still in awe, I’ve never even photographed an owl!

Jim

Very good Hali. The tiny blown areas don’t bother me and if you want to get picky about them, it would be easy to copy some texture into them. The eye looks very typical from my limited experience with them (two days when we had our last irruption). While the composition is a bit unusual, it seems to work and that’s what counts.

Snowies are such beautiful owls. Nice to see a photo of them in their natural habitat. In my area they are always seen on either a telephone pole or a fencepost. I think a little more room on the bottom would be nice to see.