Snow Birds

Two from covey in orchard with new snow. Overcast.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Any pertinent technical details: 7DII; 100/400 at 400; f 8.0; 1/500th; spot; exp. comp: +1/3.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Forgot to mention: cropped to about 70% of original and added contrast.

This is really nice, Jim. The quail on the snow just work great. I think a tighter crop might work even better, but that’s a judgement call and the snow is an important part of the image.

Hi Jim,
nicely composed and I like these beautiful birds against the white. Stunning subjects and well captured. I was expecting to see more detail in the surrounding snow. Snow detail seems only to be present in the bird’s shadows. Was this intentional? The image works for me as a strong high key but was just wondering.

Allen, High key was intended. Thanks for commenting and noticing.

Dennis, I just cropped so it placed the birds in the upper left from original middle area. Didn’t think about greater crop, but pretty good idea. Thanks.

I love the image design and the poses of the quails. Image quality of the birds looks good. For my taste, I’d prefer the snow to be less bright. When I open the image, the brightness of the snow distracts from the quails. I’d also try and open up the blacks around the quails’ eyes. They seem a touch too dark.

This is really cool. I really like high key approach. Amazing detail, color, and composition.

Love this! Perfect for a Christmas card. Excellent color and detail. Consider adding a catchlight to the eyes?

Interesting image. I am a sucker for high key nature photos. You may try to use shadows and highlights with a mask to pull up a little more details on the faces of these quail. Does not need much and may help reveal the eyes better. And it does not need much. I also love the composition as is. Well done…Jim