Weather Doesn't Matter

What technical feedback would you like if any? I used hard light for a curves adjustment layer for midtone luminosity mask. Soft light gave me nothing and vivid light was too much.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? How do you like the comp.

Any pertinent technical details: D500 200-400mm f4 (1/1600 sec at f8.0, Iso 2500, 400mm) Levels, DeNoise, + Midtone Contrast, Brightness & Contrast, crop for comp.

I took this one on the same day as the cardinal photo. Dark snowy condition and I had to push the Iso up to 2500. House finches are one of the most adaptable of North American birds. This nicely colored male arrives daily, rain, snow, or sunshine…Jim

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very nice exposure and PP…
iso not even noticeable.
Very wintry, not easy to do with the flakes and the bird.
Very well done.

A beautiful specimen, Jim. The snow works as wee as it did for the Cardinal. I would ptobably have placed the bird loeer in the frame, but this works very well. I think it’s pretty much a matter of taste.

I like the comp on this. I can’t comment on the tech since I don’t understand those processes but the end result is good IMO. Beautiful bird!

Great image Jim. I think the composition is spot on, and I love seeing all the different sizes of snowflakes. My only minor nit is the peeling bark on the bottom of the branch - easy fix.

A beautiful capture of this male finch, Jim. I love the snowflakes, it just really adds to it as did the one of the cardinal. The composition works for me. I don’t mind the peeling bark as that is a part of nature. Just wish it was my shot! But, I don’t want the snow either, so there you have it, can’t have the cake and eat it too! :yum:

That is a beautiful bird and the snowy weather conditions has transformed this image into something really special.

Very nicely done Jim.

Perfect pose, perch and the snow is the exclamation point. Well done.

Thank you. I can recrop the image more from the bottom to get rid of the peeled bark. A very easy fix. The 200-400mm f4 seems to be working OK. Most Nikon shooters have a love/hate perception about the image quality of this lens. This one seems to be a good copy. I do like the internal, sealed zooming feature of this lens. Too much dust gets sucked into the push/pull models of zoom lenses…Jim

I really like the post-processing you have done on this image, Jim. It places the finch in very nice light. The snow and simple perch showcase the colors very well. I am fine with the bird in the frame as it is.

Nice look at this house finch in the snow. Particularly good job of snowflake distribution and depth of field here. Gives a really nice sense of time and place. Excellent exposure. I love the diagonal perch.

Thank you. I really pushed the exposure on this one with an Iso of 2500. Glad you liked this one…Jim