Purple Finch

We had some unexpected snow today that started in mid-morning and came down pretty well until mid-afternoon. It was right on the verge of rain, so we didn’t get any serious accumulation, but it made for some really bright backgrounds. Since we don’t get this very often, I headed out to my blind for a couple of hours. This perch is such that the background is completely out of focus, so it created this uniform white background.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything you note. I’ve been trying to learn luminosity masks and Tony Kuyper’s actions panels, so I used mostly his stuff to do adjustments on this-any feedback as to how they worked would be appreciated. Mostly I raised the brightness of the bird and perch a touch and increased saturation a bit.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I added canvas left, right and top and took a touch off the bottom. Any comments on the composition?

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 468 mm, Gimbal head mounted to blind, f/8, 1/400, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction using AI Clear. Taken today at 11:18 am in the snow.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This looks really cold…I was going to suggest a bit more contrast, but after looking for a bit, I think you achieved a better colder look with the exposure you have.
Nice color on the Finch.

Hi Dennis,
I think you did well on the processing and the canvas adds. Composition works for me.

Love the thin perch, and the bird is good and sharp. I also thought the bird looked a little washed out until I saw the larger version. I think it is because the BG is so bright. Could it be brought down any? Otherwise, I like the perch a lot–it is a perfect size–but the cut nubs gives away that it is a setup. We haven’t really gotten any snow down here this year, which I think I am happy about!

Nice positioning of the bird in the frame. I think the detail and contrast are spot on. I like the high key effect. We didn’t get any snow in my area just thick rain.