House Finch

I spent a bit of time in my blind this morning. The winter birds are coming back in pretty good numbers now. I liked the pose this House Finch provided.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. There wasn’t much done to this except fixing up some bird poop on the perch and an abraded area on the branch going down.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I didn’t really like the branch going out the corner, but I wanted the bird where it was. I thought the border might hold the eye in the frame-did it work?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony a6500, FE200-600 @ 444 mm, gimbal head mounted to blind window, f/8, 1/800, iso 1600, manual exposure, fill flash at -2.7. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped from a horizontal original to a 3148x3912 vertical. Minor adjustments and cleanup to perch and background. A touch of sharpening on the face with other local adjustments in LR. Taken at 8:56 am today.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

She has an engaging look, with nice detail and a lovely BG. I don’t mind the branch, as it points nicely to the bird. I’ve seen criticism of branches exiting right at corners but they never bother me. I like the frame and it does tie into the branch nicely.

Great photo Dennis. Love the soft background

The quizzical look. Very nice. I like the colors of the finch and bg. I noticed the border which looks really good, but did not notice branch exiting the corner.

Very nice, Dennis. Excellent detail in the finch. I like the perch as is; the descending branch gives some balance/weight to the image and the framing works well.

Very good job on this one. The detail, pose, light, background, and composition are excellent.