House Finch

Another from the same session as my last post. I liked the dark background of the Douglas Fir in this image and the way all the twigs curve up. I retained the in focus needles because I thought that sprig balanced the bird nicely.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

A bit of burning and cleanup here and there in the background and I brightened and warmed up the finch. Any problems with those changes?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition and background.

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, gimbal head mounted to blind, f/8, 1/100, iso 3200, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped a tad off the sides, full height. Noise reduction using Neat Image. Taken January 19th at 10:43 am under cloudy skies.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like the natural setting and the detail of the bird’s feathers. Just a thought… would you consider removing the branch above the finch’s head? Content-aware might work.

Thanks for pointing this out, Patricia. It is a bit more noticeable than I thought while processing it. I think I might be more inclined to burn it a bit-particularly toward the top. I’ll have to play with it.

Nice detail and I’m drawn in by the nice contrast of the red and dark green…

Hi Dennis,

Good bird, gnarley background with the branch going thru the side of its head (keep/moved Command t, puppet warp ), a tad oversaturated in the greens push some black back in to pull bird into the foreground, add micro contrast boost to feathers , add some negative space with branch move, color dodge and burn, CAF out the inclusion on his(?) eye Then I did a bunch of quick edits with clone stamp and healing brush, could do some more, but you get the idea,. three bright spots on base of image center, that needed attention. very cool logo

thanks for allowing me to edit your fine bird image and congrats on your new moderator role.

This is a nice shot and I agree with what you say you like about it. I don’t see any issues with changes you made and the composition is fine. I do agree it looks better without the branch beside his head but I prefer the brighter feel of the colors as you posted them.

Thanks for the edit, Fritz. I do see an improvement. As for green saturation, I live on the wet side of the “Evergreen State” . In the winter it is Green with lots of exclamation points. Everything grows moss.

You had some soft light light which made this finch stand out, Dennis. Great subject and environment with the mossy branches to showcase the colors of this male. The placement of the finch in the frame is fine. I am a little bothered with the branch coming out of the head, but not sure what you can do about it (especially with the side branches).