House Finch

The past week has been busy and rainy, but I managed to get out to my blind this morning for a session in the rain. I really liked the way this finch posed with the colors from a neighbor’s distant tree in the background.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I did not cloning on this one. Should I have worked on some of the oof branches?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C. @ 516 mm, Gimbal head mounted to blind window, f/8, 1160, iso 2000, fill flash at -2 2/3, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction with Neat Image and just a touch of feather enhancement with Topaz Detail. Cropped to 4256x3404 before resizing. Taken at 9:18 this morning under overcast and showery skies.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The colors of the finch and the background work quite well together. Nice pose and great detail. I’m not sure you need to do much with the perch, though I do prefer the one in your previous finch post. One really, incredibly small nit, I might clone out the white spot on the wing feathers.

Okay, Dennis, how do you get the birds to pose in front of a nice matching or complimentary color? Just kidding. The background colors match around the head and neck Great shot.

Excellent detail, pose, and BG. Interesting plumage for a House Finch, color wise. Crop is good but I might wish to see it as little less centered…

Hi Dennis, wonderful pose and details. Love the head turn and the complementary colors in this image. Agree with David about moving the bird more to the left unless that compromises the terrific background.

I would take a different view on the composition. The eye is actually pretty close to being at the upper right ‘third’ point. The bird is looking to the left which has the greater amount of open space. I think it is difficult to get a perched bird, which is usually diagonal-head to tail-to be anything but fairly centered, otherwise one side is too close to the edge or there’s too much open space. I think getting the eye at one of the ‘third’ intersections works well, though, yes, I could see a slight crop on right.

Hello, Dennis, a great shot of a wonderful bird. Techs are spot on. BG colours match the bird very well. I’m in the camp of moving the bird to the right of the image, having it look a little more into the frame. But it works for me as posted :wink: … Cheers, Hans