Another House Finch

I went back out to the blind this morning and introduced some new perches. Moss isn’t really that popular with most birds, but a couple used this perch. The light was extremely low today with another system on its way (it’s dumping on us now). It was a very slow morning for some reason, but I did get a couple of keepers out of it. This was my favorite.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I didn’t do much in processing on this one-just some minor brightness and color temperature changes.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

How does the composition feel on this one?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 421 mm, gimbal head mounted to blind window, f/8, 1/160, iso 2500, fill flash at -2 2/3, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction with Neat Image and a light feather enhancement using Topaz Detail. Raised the global brightness of the bird a touch and then added a bit more to the facial area. Cropped from a horizontal original to 2967x3461 before resizing for the web. Taken at 9:36 this morning under heavily overcast skies.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Considering the yucky conditions we are currently experiencing, this was a good catch. Well composed with excellent detail, color, and background. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Hi Dennis, I like the moss as a perch and have also found birds reluctant to land on it. The colors of the finch look really natural and the detail is nice. Fill flash looks well executed. I’d consider some eye clean up of the multiple catch lights. Nice background.

The moss makes for a nice perch and contrasts nicely with the red finch. Nice pose, excellent detail, and a nice clean background.

Nice one, Dennis. Detail is excellent and the frontal position works nicely. The BG is very nice as well, with the fading color. Well done ! Cheers, Hans

The moss really is a nice perch for this little guy, Dennis. The details are really nice, and the bird and the perch stand out nicely against the background. Considering the light, you really did a super job. You are making me rethink my yard and what can I do to set up opportunities for the birds and me. I always enjoy your setups and how the birds and perches look like they were taken in a natural setting that you found the birds in. I realize we live on opposite sides of the US, so weather, etc., will be so different. I don’t get to travel much, and I use my house as a blind by shooting through the window. Anyway, you have me thinking outside the box.