Sometimes You Get Lucky

This is the same mossy perch as the last post I made, but it had gotten a bit disheveled in the last couple of days and I had moved it, so there was this area of moss hanging down from it against the exclusion cage for a feeder that I’d attached it to. This Chickadee landed on it, stuffed a sunflower seed in the moss and held this pose for three frames. It’s one of those events that makes sitting in a blind for hours very worthwhile.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I used the healing brush to cover up three small areas where the exclusion cage that supports the perch showed through gaps in the moss. I also used the healing brush to remove the flash catchlight from the eye.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the composition work? This is cropped from the left and bottom to put the eye in the upper left cross of the golden rectangle grid.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 484 mm, gimbal head mounted to blind window, f/8, 1/200, iso 2500, fill flash at -2 2/3 EV, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 5115x3410 before resizing. Taken this morning at 9:03 in fog/low clouds.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

What a shot, Dennis. I love the pose he gave you. Yup, worth sitting in the blind for hours (although, I don’t know that for a fact since I don’t have a blind)! That moss is his little hide out for his food, so he will be back at some point so you may have some more shots of him. I am not sure it can get any better than this one though. :+1::+1:

A great capture with a unique pose, excellent exposure, great colors and fine detail. Love the moss and I can see how it’s a perfect hiding place for those little goodies that you want to save for later. I think the composition works very well in this.

Nice detail throughout. The colors pop nicely. He held a nice pose for you. The composition works well.

Hi Dennis,

This is a neat shot. Exposure is spot on and that’s a wonderful perch.
No nits from me. Well done…Jim