Our State Bird

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any/All

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any/All

Any pertinent technical details: I just love getting to shoot these way cooler looking birds than they need to be. I used my D500, Nikon 2-500 lens, 1.4 TC, tripod w/gimbal head, 1/1000th, f/8.0, 700mm, ISO 200, cropped to 4771 x 3149

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Photos of fully alert erect CA quail in vegetation are a dime a dozen. Catching one mid-stride with the head down on the snow makes this unique and special. Perfect light and perfect exposure certainly help!

Hello Dave! I am enjoying this image very much, a bird I am not at all familiar with. I like everything about the image: light, pose, position in the frame and even the snow with realistic texture. I wish this image were mine! LOL

Congratulations,
Jim

Excellent, Dave. The detail in the quail is fine and I like the pose and eye contact. I also like how the angle of the sun brought out the details in the snow. A fine image.

I’ve been applying the advice from you guys on shooting dark subjects in a light background like this by checking for “blinkies” and it worked fine for this challenge. Thanks you guys for all your help.