Snowy Owl on a Big Stick

This is the same owl that was perched on the duck blind from my posting in Man & Fauna. A group of photographers frightened her off of her perch and she flew down the road and perched on a utility pole near a parking area. I was able to position myself at a reasonable distance from the bird and provided an opening that was free from power lines and tree branches. I like the shading of the wings. In the Midwest, snowies prefer roosting on large utility poles, rock piles, or on the ground.

What technical feedback would you like if any? The sun was going down so do you think that I handled the lighting OK?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? How do you like the crop?

Any pertinent technical details: D500 600mm f4 + 1.4x TC Camera Flat Profile, Levels, Rubber stamp tool for removing OOF branches and power line insulators, increase in midtone contrast + shadows & highlights. I dodged up the yellow eye color too and crop for comp. Enjoy…Jim

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice work, Jim. Good job removing the excess stuff-I don’t see any sign of it. Nice pose and the processing is excellent. One thing you might want to look at is taking some more off the bottom and perhaps adding a touch to the top. I’ve found that when I have shots with relatively steep up angles, it makes them look lower if there’s less room on the bottom. Not sure what the phenomenon is, but it seems to work.

Excellent portrait with superb detail and exposure parameters. I think you could take off a little space on the left side but that is just preference. You could also clone away the wire just below the birds tail.But regardless, I really like it.

Wonderful capture of this Snowy, Jim. Such wonderful detail in his feathers, and that look, as owls do, is just precious.

Thank you. I had a lot of fun with this bird. She was a good subject and was able to snag some photos of her without approaching too close…jim

Sweet! Exquisite detail and a nice pose.
Fine work!
Sandy

Always a challenge against the sky, but you managed well and I like the overall composition and atmosphere; not to speak of the amazing species of course :wink: … Well done, cheers, Hans