Approaching Sunset

This is another “Catalina cloudscape” image, i.e. pretty clouds over the Catalina Mountains north of Tucson. I realize I have several similar images posted here, all taken from the same spot. It’s just a convenient place for me to take pictures on short notice, and since the clouds are always changing, there’s little chance I’ll run out of possible variations. It’s sort of like music. The same notes over and over, but it still sounds different. It’s a fun a challenge to find a harmonious composition using just the same elements after years of photographing from this location. This image was taken just as the clouds were starting to get some warm light. I thought it would get better as sunset got closer, but it never happened. Clouds moved off and there was never much light on them after this.

Specific Feedback Requested

I definitely added some warmth to this scene in processing. Checking to make sure it looks natural still.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

1 Like

Tony, this scene and especially the clouds looks great. One of the pleasures of seeing the same place over and over is learning about the subtle variations. In the larger view, the yellows close to the top may be a bit strong, even so, the image hangs together very well as presented and speaks to late afternoon light on a fine day.

Tony, the coming back thing is so tru. Fine image BTW.

The music analogy is a very interesting one Tony. For me these type of “go to” local spots are like old friends. I enjoy seeing them, but they can still surprise me by showing a different side of themselves. You just have to be open to looking for new aspects, and not fall into the trap of seeing them in the same old way.

The image is great, the billowing clouds almost have a sense of motion to them. My only nit Is that I agree with @Mark_Seaver is that the gold in the upper corners feels a bit strong. but otherwise this is a fine looking cloudscape.

I was just commenting on one of my posts about taking photos at the same spot over and over again. I keep thinking of Monet painting the same subject over and over again (the Rouen Cathedral and his garden at Giverny). It becomes a meditation on change, light, and color. Thanks for posting this photo, it’s a gem.

This one works well and the processing looks very natural to my eye. No suggestions here, just enjoying the peaceful scene.

The light and color in the sky is delightful Tony. No nits from me.

I lived about half my life living in Arizona, and really wish I had been into photography then. I have wonderful memories of thunderstorm drama and drop-dead sunsets. Your beautiful clouds make me want to visit some of the old haunts.

The warmth looks great to me. I too would drop it just a tad at the edges of the frame so my eye isn’t sucked away from the center.