Vertical Sunset

Monsoon season was a bit dry in the Southwest this year, and it felt that way picture-wise as well. I really enjoy what the Arizona skies can do when there’s a little moisture in the atmosphere, but some years are better than others.

Most sunsets seem to work best in the landscape format, and I like this image as it allowed me to work vertically for a change.

What technical feedback would you like if any? The hard part of this image was the sky at the bottom left. It was way too bright in the original capture. My original recovery attempt was tilted towards matching it to the blue in the rest of the sky but, in the end, I added a lot more yellow instead. When I sample parts of the sky in the lower left, the hue is actually a green, and I thought, this can’t be right. But, it seems to work, at least better than the blue I was trying to match.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I think your choice for a “portrait” format is a good one. The focus of the image, for me, at least, is the zig zagging of the clouds from the top of the frame down to the horizon and the portrait mode accentuates that verticality. I think your handling of the colour in the lower left is just fine and feels very natural to me. The one thing I’d like would be a little more detail along the ridge, maybe a bit more of the highlights that are hinted at there, just so my eye doesn’t run into the ground quite so abruptly.

Very nice image, Tony. I like the layering of the clouds and the mountains compliment the scene by providing just enough to anchor the scene.

This is real nice, Tony. I was really disappointed with this years monsoon. I also like this image without the mountain. I like the vertical comp.

Tony,

Gorgeous sky, flawlessly processed. If you’re concerned about that LLC, don’t be. You did a fantastic job - This is vibrant, colorful and totally natural - like I was there experiencing this myself.

Lon

Hi Tony. The warm light mixed with the cool blue sky will naturally want to create blue when they’re mixed or where they’re blended. Funny but I just watched a Bob Ross episode where he discussed this and how to overcome it when painting. Photography will be different, of course, as you are working with what you’ve got and not creating it completely. I think that going from warm to cool is a natural occurrence at a sunrise or sunset. I think that it helps with the direction of the light into the frame.

As for the vertical comp I usually reserve it for photos that have a beautiful or interesting foreground but using it here to feature an excellent cloud, such as this, if fine. It helps that you have the mountains as a base to give the bottom of the frame weight.

And for processing, excellent as always. Nicely done Tony.

Tony,

Gorgeous Sky! Just the right amount of landscape too.

Processing - outstanding. that brighter patch you’re asking about - perfect - no issues there. Excellent job.

Lon