Southwest Sunset Layer Sandwich

The sunset started out as a grey out of clouds, but then it broke up and created these marvelous layers.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all comments and suggests are appreciated. Does the crop work for you?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D IV, EF 70-200 L II at 135 mm, f/16, 1/20 sec, ISO 100

The layers and colors are real nice, as is the depth. I would find the comp more balanced if it was cropped on the left to completely eliminated the left tower and the darker rock of it.

I can see why you liked this so much. All those clouds and their shadows make all the difference to this vista. If it were mine I would darken the image a certain amount to give it a more brooding sense. Raise the emotional factor.

The handful of times that I’ve shot at this location, it has always been at sunrise. But shooting here in late afternoon or at sunset looks like it works very nicely too, based on seeing your image.

For me it’s the various layers that really make this image work. The contrast between the layer bands in both luminosity and color temperature really sets this image apart. I would suggest trying to emphasize that even further by darkening the blues in the scene, both in the clouds, and in the shadows on the land. But I would leave the warm colors alone, they look really nice as presented.

Thanks Ed, Igor, and Igor. I always love and appreciate your comments.

Really enjoying this Tony. I really love the layers and particularly the depth that layers and colors are proving. I wouldn’t touch the warm glow of the front buttes but I agree with Ed about cooling the shadows as well as the sky a bit, maybe the top half of the image as well as that bad of shadows going through the front of the second ridge of hills. Orange and blue work so well well together. I might also give a little bit of a vignette as my eye keeps going to the bright area in the LRC. I like the comp as is. Beautiful scene Tony.