Desert Light in Southern Utah

There were dark clouds in the far distance, big dark clouds overhead but with the sun shinging through one area. It was a few minutes before sunset. It was an amazing light and color show.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D IV, 70-200 F4 lens at 185 mm, f/16, 1/8 sec, ISO 100

4 Likes

Tony, a lot of photographers would have processed this scene with more contrast, but I like it just the way you have it, the more gentle approach works really well for me. I especially like the subtle band of light in the foreground, I think it adds to the ambiance of the scene, without competing with the buttes. Outstanding work on this one Tony, I’m enjoying it very much.

The simplicity and light make this for me Tony. As Ed said the foreground subtle light really complements.

A very beautiful, subtle, quiet and minimalist scene Tony. The light you captured is amazing. You have such a clean foreground and a clean sky that the viewers eye goes straight to the buttes absorbing that incredible band of light. I almost feel like I’m there. I wish I were.

You’ve absolutely captured the feel of the filtered light. The scene feels almost as though it is shot under water. There is a sense of tension - the calm before the storm that is compelling.

The warm orange glow of the sunlight on the rocks is wonderful, but set against the dark blue of the sky behind makes it stunning. Really beautiful. The sky and rocks seem to play against each other bringing out the drama of each.

Great light on this beautifully dramatic scene. Your timing was outstanding to get the formations spotlit with such a nice glow. :+1:

Wonderful lighting and well-captured Tony.

Thanks for the comments @Mario_Cornacchione, @Kerry_Gordon , @Harley_Goldman , @Harley_Goldman , @Chris_Baird @John_Williams !