Sunset light on the Colorado River, Southern Utah

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

There are lovely walks along the Colorado River in Southern Utah. I caught this orange light which was very fleeting. I took several shots but this was my favorite.

Specific Feedback

The surface of the water bothers me a bit…it seems too harsh, but thats the way it came out. Perhaps it would have looked more pleasing shot at a slower speed, but I can’t time travel. What do you think about the water surface? Or anything else?

Technical Details

200mm, ISO 400, 1/30 sec, f/16

2 Likes

Tony, I really like pictures of solitary trees like this one, and I love the composition here with the shining river in the background. The mix of blue and orange on the surface of the water is very nice, and the amount of shoreline you’ve included frames everything well. The surface of the water looks a little choppier in the lower left part of the image. It might have been nice to try a longer exposure to see what you came up with, but I don’t see it as a detriment. It’s a beautiful image as is.

Hi Tony. I like how the darker river bank frames the river and the sunset reflection on the water contrasting with the cooler unlit areas. I agree that a longer exposure would have had a nice effect on the water, but maybe the wind would have blurred the tree or the vegetation along the bank