Aquatic Alloy

I went back and tried to get some more slow shutters of shore break a few weeks ago as I wasn’t completely satisfied with what I got my first attempt. I tried to shoot with a higher aperture to get a bit more of the scene in focus. I’ve found that after the sun drops below the horizon the light and colors seem to get the best but its extremely difficult to get a clean shot with everything in focus since there’s just not that much light left. Unfortunately it seems my gear maybe holding me back as I’m shooting with a non-IS lens, so I’m trying to keep my shutter above 1/10 to prevent the image from becoming a blurry mess. I was pretty happy with this shot even though I didn’t get color from the sky reflecting in it since the sun had not set yet.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing, too cool? I was going for a cooler image and this felt right but I am open to suggestions

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 5d Mark III 135MM F2 in an Essex Waterhousing. 1/20 F/14 ISO 250

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I like the texture and the highlights in the curve of the way here. The deeper blues at the bottom to the warmer blues up top work for me as well.

I’d try burning some of the highlights that touch the edge of the frame to keep the eye in at the curvature of the wave

Another good looking wave image. I would second @Nathan_Klein 's suggestion, but not a big deal. With the water housing, I assume you are out in the water to get these?

David, I love this image. The color looks great, from the more greenish blue up top to the deep blue at the bottom. I also love the curving lines, and the blur looks just right to me. The only thing I would suggest is cropping just a little off the top, because I find the texture along the top right edge to be a bit distracting because it’s much finer than the streaks in the rest of the image. I also cropped the brighter area out of the lower left.

David, what an intriguing image. For me this does a much better job of conveying the surreal mood than your earlier wave post did. Even though relatively little of this image is “sharp”, somehow it just works better for me in this case than it did in your prior post. This feels so much more abstract, and to me that makes for a more effective image.

Thanks @Nathan_Klein Nathan and @Craig_Moreau Craig, I’ll burn down the corners some more, I had already cropped it a bit and added a vignette but it seems some of the brighter parts could use some touch ups.

@Harley_Goldman Yeah I’m kneeling or laying down in the water with a water housing, with quick enough reflexes and a bit higher of an angle you could probably do without as the waves were really small but since I have one I’d rather be safe then sorry.

@Ed_McGuirk Thanks Ed, I had a hard time trying to figure out which part of the wave I wanted to show case but I felt this one worked better as it had the smooth lines that I was aiming for in the first one with the rest of the wave cut out.

Wonderful abstract David.