Afternoon long exposure

Late afternoon at Ben Boyd National Park

What technical feedback would you like if any?

The highlight of the water was intention to emphasise the shape of the water and the contrast of the shore.

Any feedback on whether this translates would be useful

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

My thinking here was to highlight the curve of the water and it’s shape with the headland. Please let me know your opinion of the full size image with more negative space or the cropped version.

Any other comments about different approaches will be welcomed.

Any pertinent technical details:

18mm 2.5s f11 iso 100
3 stop nd filter and polarising filter

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is really nice, Nathan. I prefer the full frame, it give the image far more depth for me. No suggestions here, looks great.

Nathan,

I do like the full frame image, although I think giving 50% of the frame, and including the small jelly fish, the emphasis on highlighting the curve, the surf, etc. is diminished somewhat.

To me, the cropped version works wonderfully to emphasize the shape as well as the contrasts of the image - from surf to shore/sand, but also against the headlands and sky. Also nice to get a closer look at the colors and texture of the water.

In the end both work wonderfully on their own. I think they just give the viewer much different impressions.

Lon

@Harley_Goldman and @Lon_Overacker thanks for your input.

If anyone else has a preference please let me know

Nathan, if your goal is to emphasize the curve of the water, and the headlands, then the crop does a much better job. In the larger version the size/shape of the jellyfish(?) in the LRC is not interesting enough to me to warrant inclusion of this much negative space. If you had a strong foreground element in the beach that you wanted to emphasize, I would have gotten down low and close to it with a wide-angle lens, but then the perspective of the lens might diminish the impact of the waves and headland. For your stated goals, the crop does the best job.

I prefer the full frame but that one small pebble sticking out is distracting. To me this is a nice minimalist photo.