Hawaii long exposure

I wanted to catch the waves crashing at this unexpected location.

1/8 s, f/22, ISO 100. Handheld longish exposure, some softness due to that.

Cropping and exposing are a little tricky. I think cropping too closely (such as a horizontal crop) might take the context of the photo away a little bit, because part of the point of the photo is the contrast between the rock-solid rock and the evanescent wave. But changing the light curve to add more detail to the shadow might distract from the wave. Suggestions welcome!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Any

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Gaurav,

I like the symmetry which you’ve captured between the wave splashing and he rock pool.

My main feedback is the time of day which this was shot. I’d return at sunrise or sunset and try with the light coming from a lower angle.

1 Like

Good contrasts between the rocks and the waves, and the rocks have very interesting shapes! The splashing water has too little detail for my taste, you could draw more details in the highlights from the raw file. If there’s some interesting lines or rock shapes in the fg, a vertical composition could work well here, like 4x5? I agree with Nathan that sunrise or sunset light will improve the scene, the sky and its reflections will add extra interest.