Arctic Loon

What I love most about divers, is their relaxed behaviour. Just floating around, contemplating whatever it is the contemplate :wink: … I thought this wide set-up reflects this. For more close-up pictures, you can check https://www.hansoverduin.nl/mystic-loon/

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details: Nikon D850 with 500mm | 1/200s | f4 | ISO110 | underexposed 1/3EV | camera and me on the bank

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hans, I really like the wide open feel of your composition. This illustrates that subjects small in the frame can work quite well. Given that you were underexposed, I think it would be worthwhile to add a bit of brightness and saturation to the nice open background. I think that would compliment the image a lot.

Thanks Bill, that sounds like a good suggestion ! Best, Hans

I like the Idea and the placement of the bird and the size in the frame.
I Think a pano crop removing the sky would look good.

Exceptional warm light and depth of field to isolate the Loon. The lighting and the contrast between the blues and the warm background really make this image work well. You made the right choice to use the D 850 over the D 500 just because of the clarity of the image of the bird. Bill’s suggestion sounds worth trying. But I appreciate it as is.

I like the misty look to this image, Hans. The placement of the loon in the frame is excellent. I am a bit bothered by the processing of the loon. It stands out a bit too much from the background, giving it a bit of a look of being pasted into the image. I’d see if you can mellow out the transition between it and the surrounding water a bit.

Really nice small in the frame image which works for me as is even though trying a pano crop as Dan suggests could be good as well.

Looks good to me! I like it as is.