Arctic Loon revisited

Last week I went back to the Loon that I showed earlier. Instead of clear skies, this time I faced a light drizzle and heavily overcast weather. It offered me a totally different atmosphere. After having spent some time the bird got pretty used to me and sometimes came closer than my focussing distance…

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D850 with 500mm | 1/250s | f4 | ISO1000 | underexposed 1/3EV | camera and me flat on the back. There’s more to see on https://www.hansoverduin.nl/back-to-the-loon/
Thanks for viewing and have a nice weekend, Cheers, Hans
(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hans, this is gorgeous. All of the shots are but this one is my favorite. I love the soft, peaceful water and transitions from focus to oof. Beautiful colors.

Hans, this is great work. Knowing that you shoot from a lower POV, this works much better with the water in the FG than having sand or ground like some of your others. What’s really nice is the soft lighting and eye contact. Also I love the warm tones, something you should really be proud to have taken.

Beautiful, Hans. I have to admire your super low angles, particularly after nearly throwing my back out trying to duplicate them last Tuesday. This is a lovely image. I really love the tones.

I really like this pic. The DOF seems perfect, it has a great mood, and that low angle is very appealing too.

Thanks for your reaction, and yes, getting these low angles doesn’t always has the best influence on my back a/o neck. I do have an angled view finder, but never use it since I find it not that easy to use - I feel more confident looking through my regular view finder, even with the side-effects :wink:

Great frame. Of course the low angle is the difference in making this shot so appealing to me. Soft color palette is also very nice.

Exquisite! Incredible complementary colors, head turn, detail, depth of field, foreground and background. And after looking through your link there are many more that are just as good. I like the one with the single Loon and the fire like orange OOF background. Very nice work in this folio. And yes getting down on the back is very difficult for me; lying on my side is a little better but awkward to control the camera.

Thanks David, for your nice words, and your reaction made me notice I did a typing mistake in my text: ‘back’ should have been ‘bank’ - on which I was flat on my belly to control the camera :wink: … Either way, it’s not ideal for ones body …

Simply a masterpiece. Would love to get an image like this one day. Thanks for sharing!

Great low angle and nice similar tones in this one Hans!

Hans,

I like the soft, low contrast colors of the loon and this makes for a very pleasing image. Well done…JIm