Arctic Tern Passion

This is a follow up from the “Special Delivery” sequence with this pair of Arctic Terns. I hung around and watched them for a while and it paid off as I had a second opportunity to capture a different part of a an Arctic Tern relationship. This sequence tells you why the male Tern was willing to put in a hard day of fishing :wink: Once again, it was difficult to decide which frame of the series to use for the critique and once again, the full sequence will be posted in the Avian Gallery.

Sony a6500, SEL100400GM @ 253 mm, ISO-160, f/5.6, 1/4000, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

gminish@valdezak.net

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Superb action and detail. I especially like the shadow of the beak on the top Tern. And on the lower Tern, the eye is perfect. Excellent color, light, and background.

Gary, it was nice to have gotten them both in good clear positions like that, and especially good to catch the upward sweep of the male’s wings. For me this is the best of the lot so far.

Good behavioral shot with nice detail.

Really nice series of behavioral images Gary. Each one demonstrating excellent action and good technical proficiency. I think my favorite is the food drop-off, but all of these are superb!