Arctic Tern Splash-In #5

A shot of an Arctic Tern doing the bird bath thing in a shallow pool in the middle of a gravel field. I like this one because of the thick film of water over it’s head and that you can see it’s nictitating membrane protecting it’s eyes.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony a6500, SEL200600G @ 600mm (900mm w/crop factor), ISO-250, f/6.3, 1/4000, hand held.

1 Like

Very good bathing image, Gary. Superb detail and action.

A shallow pool of water, yet it’s head is almost submerged! I like how it’s head is just peeking out, Gary. I also like how it’s wings jet off at that angle, adding a sense of motion and energy, along with the splashes of water. Great timing!

Outstanding capture and moment in time. The water including the splash in the water over the head of the bird are amazing. Excellent job here.

It’s crazy to think that this was taken in a gravel field. I love it!!! I also love the thick, almost icy look of the water on the birds head and also in the water around the front side of the bird. It looks like an ice sculpture. The drops of water flying in all directions give this image some drama and motion. Great catch Gary!