As the sun gets lower...

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

By the time the clouds began showing some sunset color I was at the elevated vantage point of Mono Lake at the start of Hwy 120 into Yosemite. The top image is virga, which is visible in the LR corner in the image of this cloud I posted yesterday from a bit south and down on the highway (395). The second one is the south end of the cloud. I’ll post more tomorrow as the post-sunset color hits the high clouds.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 7.49.27 AM

In LR, highlights down a bit and some Clarity. Into PS for some micro-contrast, with Nik CEP Detail Extractor and Tonal Contrast. A touch of Saturation.

2 Likes

That a pretty wild looking sky Diane! I don’t think that Ive ever seen anything quite like this. I like the first image overall but my eye is drawn the the silvery grey bushes at the very bottom of the frame and I would be inclined to clone them out. The grey cloud at the top of the image is super nice and really nicely frames the scene.

1 Like

I definitely like the first image best. The sky is spectacular. I agree with Tom on the silvery gray brushes at the bottom.

The first image is amazing Diane. I wonder if bringing up the highlight in the grey cloud and the descending clouds would help.

Diane,

Wow, this is just as phenomenal - and perhaps even more dramatic, and certainly unique. Unique because you’ve captured a moment where there an multiple different types of clouds and atmospheric things happening all in one frame.

It’s like the top cloud is showering down (the virga)… yet disipates before reaching anything - and then there’s the line of cumulus type clouds catching the last light of the day - even some lenticulars.
All anchored by the view of Mono Lake. Just a wonderful caputure.

I would somewhat agree about the vegetation at the bottom, although it doesn’t really take away from the impact of this scene. Perhaps some simple burning/darkening would do the trick, but not a biggie.

Lon

Many thanks, @Tom_Nevesely, @Eva_McDermott, @Igor_Doncov and @Lon_Overacker! It was amazing to be able to witness and photograph this weather! I definitely agree about the bushes – I’m usually pretty good at border patrol and surprised I didn’t remove them. Consider them gone!

The gray cloud was a quandary. I had done a second higher shot for a pano but by this time and from this angle there was just no interest to be found in it and settled for this composition.