The next morning

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The next morning after the sunset wave clouds I posted, I was at the South Tufa at Mono Lake at sunrise and did my usual unremarkable images from there. I had vowed to use the 8 stop ND to get calm water but the light on the mountains was changing fast and I was afraid of missing something. But the something never happened – too many clouds in the east for anything more than just pleasantly warm light. Back on 395 headed for coffee I had to pull over several times though. These clouds had been completely unremarkable viewed from maybe 5 miles to the east. Or maybe they formed like this in the few minutes when I was driving.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 8.51.39 PM

Settings varied somewhat but this is from the last one. Hardly mattered with this much wide angle and distant subject. All handheld after quick scrambles out of the car. Minimal global tonal adjs in LR and into PS for some Nik Detail Extractor to pull a little more tone mapping out.

Hi Diane,
that is a wonderful collection of images. I can well understand why you had to stop again and again to shoot these beautiful clouds.

My favorites are #1 and #2. These are great abstract images. I definitely see some otherworldly creatures :slight_smile:
I love the very fine details.
I can very well imagine them working well in black and white too.

I know this situation all too well. You wait for the sun to come through and create a dramatic mood.
But sometimes it’s worth waiting. I don’t know how many times I’ve been on my way back and suddenly the sky has exploded… too impatient to wait at the spot.

But I’m happy for you that you were able to take some great photos on the way back.

These are wonderful Diane. Some are whimsical. My favorites are 2 and 3. Number 3 could be made into a panorama with a crop from above.

Thanks, @Jens_Ober and @Igor_Doncov! I almost wondered if I was dreaming. And then the rest of the day (after breakfast and a quick nap) the clouds were just ordinary.

These are wonderful and I especially like the first two for their light, airy, whimsical, uplifting and hopeful feel. (did I get enough adjectives in there? :slight_smile: ) No, but really, the light coming through the clouds is great and you did a awesome job with them all.

Diane,

Leave it to the Eastern Sierra to produce such fascinating clouds. They are all great, but I like 1 and 2 best.

Thanks, @Tom_Nevesely and @Youssef_Ismail – it was a cool opportunity!