Ascendant

Sony A77II
Sony 70-400G-II @ 150mm
ISO 200, 1/5 @ f22
Mercer Arboretum
While wandering around the Arboretum yesterday I spotted this pristine and almost perfect palm frond. Certainly a flora subject but because of its size I thought I would post it here. All comments welcome. >=))>

3 Likes

What an interesting graphic design in this palm frond Bill. This is large enough that I think it does wander away from macro into the landscape realm. And I love how you used the backlight to accentuate the warm yellows in the frond. You have come away with a beautiful abstract scene, all those lines and V shapes are simply marvelous. If this were mine. I might be tempted to make it even more abstract by cropping the bottom to exclude the stem, which injects some “reality” into the image. But that’s a matter of subjective personal taste, i think this image works really well as presented too. Great eye to spot the potential in this plant.

I love these big and bold sweeping lines, Bill. The light at the center of the stalk is perfect. Great shot!

this is exceptional, Bill. I wouldn’t change a thing. Comp and lighting are perfect IMHO.

This is simply wonderful!! Lines/curves/shapes flow so beautifully, and all in focus! Colors are amazing. Composition is gorgeous and I love the inclusion of the beginning of the leaves at the base.

Love it! Great colour, strong lines and beautiful light. Very dynamic.

Hi @Bill_Fach, really interesting small scene.
I love lights and contrast in this image, regarding composition i would exclude the lower part of the plant, it is not cohesive with the rest of the frame, it’s also my opinion, the image works well as is.
Thanks for sharing.

Amazing capture Bill. I love the lighting and how the composition was frame. It is a very nice well balanced photo.

I was going to suggest a slight crop too. I also think it could look really wild in B&W if you’re into that! Nice image here!