Aspen Farms Eventing-Cross Country-Image 1

Aspen Farms Eventing-Cross Country-Image 2

Aspen Farms Eventing-Cross Country-Image 3

Aspen Farms Eventing-Cross Country-Image 4

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My wife whose first words were “I want a pony.” and I went to a local Eventing venue last Saturday and I spent the morning burning electrons while she enjoyed the show and talking to fellow horse people (she stayed the whole day and got a ride home with a friend). After culling 2900+ images (those electronic shutters can really stack the images up) to 192 I’m finally starting to process some. I doubt that I’ll ever process more than 20-25, but these were some of my favorites.

Specific Feedback

Given the number of people roaming around and the extraneous stuff that tends to be in the background, I ended up doing a whole lot of editing just to remove stuff. The light was also pretty harsh with lots of highlights and shadows. I’d be interested in any pointers on processing this kind of stuff as I don’t do it often.

Technical Details

All images taken with a Sony A1, FE 70-200 f4 macro + 1.4TC, various focal lengths. Processed in LR & PS CC. My basic workflow was to try to get the exposure right and balance shadows and highlights in LR then export to PS to straighten, crop and remove extraneous features that I didn’t want in the images. Then back to LR for some final tweaks with the local adjustment brush (which I love for that) and exporting.

A lovely bunch of shots!! Some nice horseflesh there and some skilled riders. Some good processing skills too. I don’t see anything I could criticize in any of them.

I feel your pain about how cheap electrons are these days – unlike the fast computers we need to keep up with them.