4-H Barrel Racing #1

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’ve been pretty absent from the site for a couple of weeks because myself and another camera club member were running the photography exhibit at our local county fair. I did find a window on the last day of the fair to get around and see what was happening. Luckily, the 4-H horse folks were still having competitions and they always make for fun photo opportunities even in the middle of the day.

Specific Feedback

I went through and did a bunch of quick and dirty edits today to get some images ready for our club newsletter (deadline tomorrow). This one was done completely in LR-mainly shadow and highlight adjustments and a crop. Does the face need more work?

Technical Details

Sony A1, Tamron 28-200 mm @ 200mm, f/8, 1/3200, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in LR. Cropped to 3777x2745. Taken July 30th at 2:42 PM.

This is great, Dennis! :slight_smile:

I’ve always liked to watch barrel races at our local fairgrounds, I’ve never been serious about taking good technical photographs of the event but I have taken a few snapshots for the scrapbook. In hindsight, I kind of wish that I had of been more serious about it.

I find this image to be spot on technically and the aesthetic quality is great, the shadows and highlights are spot on in my view and the composition is very well balanced.
This young lady looks very serious, yet she appears to be having the time of her life! :slight_smile:

I’m sure that everyone including the camera club was most appreciative for the photography exhibit, no doubt there were at least a few people inspired by the exhibit. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing, Dennis! :slight_smile:

Very nice shot, Dennis. I think the face, even though it is shadowed, shows up nicely. Anything more to it would probably look over done. I love the action you caught here. I used to be in the 4-H horse club when I was a teenager, so you brought back memories. I watch barrel racing, but never entered it. Nicely done!

Everything looks just fine to me. Great action and inclusion of the time clock is a very nice addition. Wonderful shot.

Thanks, Jim. I’d thought about removing the clock, but decided to leave it.

Another cool one! (I saw the next day’s post first, in my perpetual state of catching up here.) You caught an absolutely wonderful moment, and processed it very well. You have some very promising-looking young riders up that way!