Grazing

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It was so calming watching these wild horses graze while the sun was setting to my left. If it hadn’t been 28 degrees it would have been the perfect ending to my day.

Specific Feedback

Just over all general feedback from other photographers.

Technical Details

Canon R5 128mm F5 1/200th

1 Like

Nice image, Bryan. The grazing horses with the bluish butte and orange pink sky do create a sense of calm and twilight stillness. I think the dark streaky clouds work against that mood for me though. I would crop and remove them from the image. I would open up shadows on the three dark horses to get a little more detail. And cropping some of the more noticeable out of focus foreground might be helpful, generating a more panoramic format. I think pano format would compliment the nice horizon line. Pretty fine image as is but more potential is there.

1 Like

Oooh cool. I like the overall palette and the composition although I think the blues are a bit too strong for my taste and the sky itself. In addition to the ideas that Stephan had about lifting the shadows in the horses, I’d crop out all the clouds entirely. A scroll crop reveals the subject more fully and limits my wander into the sky which is (presumably) you don’t want me to go. I like the environment very much and the implied harshness. Too bad that the two to the right are merged, but they don’t often listen to directions.

1 Like

Thank you so much for taking the time to critique my image. I will give your suggestions a shot and see how it comes out!

Thank you so much for lending your thoughts! Again, I will add your suggestions to Stephens and see how the image works. Just in my mind, I think these will make it a bit better.

Lovely photo! I like the clouds, it helps frame the horses and the butte. Removing the clouds does emphasize the horses more. But left in place, the photo seems more about the entire West (I’m presuming it was shot somewhere in the West): the landscape, the big sky (so quintessentially “West”), horses and vegetation. The whole package. I’m a sucker for western landscapes…

1 Like

Lovely image. I like the color palette, which really conveys a feeling of cold. I also like the clouds. But I think it might work better to crop out some of the left hand side from about where the clouds end. I think the image might balance a little better that way.

So many ways you could go with this. I think the clouds are dramatic but maybe if the Shadows are lifted a lot they would feel less heavy, and that would bring more detail into the horses. I wouldn’t mind seeing a squeak more sky on top, if you have it. The colors and blue cast are dramatic and I think that contributes to the image. The slightly surreal nature of this this reminds me of the novel, “Blood Meridian.” (Which I highly recommend – his handling of language is as surreal as the story. I once asked a serious writer what other writers think of Cormack McCarthy. She said, “They are SOOOO jealous!”)

Thank you so much for your kind words! This image was taken on the high plains of southern Wyoming right outside of Green River.

Thank you for taking the time to look over my image! I will give your suggestions a try and see how it lands.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will give them a try and see how it works with the image. So far, I have tried it without the clouds, and it just doesn’t seem right to me. So maybe this will do it. Also, I will check out that book; I was browsing for a new one earlier today, so thanks for helping me out.