Aspens by the stream

Previous version

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This small scene is a grove of Aspen trees near the Glacier Gorge Trailhead in Rocky Mountain National Park. It was early June so the Aspen’s leaves were a vibrant green. In this image I was trying to capture that early spring feeling. Unfortunately several of the trees had been carved by people with no respect for the natural world, so my choice of vantages was a bit limited.

Technical Details

Sony A7riv with a Tamron 20-40 lens at 25 mm and f/13. 1/10 second shutter speed. Basic adjustments in Light room

1 Like

Will, I caught the bright greens of spring right away and they look good. This is a very inviting scene. I find the bright sky in the upper left a bit distracting, so you might burn that in or possibly crop it out. As I look, one advantage I see to cropping is that it puts more emphasis on the stream. Right now, I’d say that the stream and the forest are getting roughly equal emphasis, which may be the story that you want to tell.

Will, I will (no pun intended) second @Mark_Seaver comments.

@Mark_Seaver and @Michael_Lowe

I agree about the distraction from the bits of sky! In fact, I already darkened them some. I also had tried some crops that got rid of the sky, but that also removed more of the aspens than I wanted. The third thing I had tried before was to clone out the bits of sky using Lightroom. But I didn’t like they way it looked.

After thinking about your comments, I decided to try taking the image into Photoshop to give another try to cloning out the sky. For the most part, I use Lightroom, but I still think Photoshop is superior for these kinds of things. I’ve uploaded the modified version. Let me know what you think.

-Will

The cloning looks good (at NPN sizes). While Lightroom has gotten very good, it seems that making detailed, local changes in PS is notably better.