Aspens in pink and blue light

This was taken in the Eastern Sierra about an hour after sunrise facing due west. The sunlight had not yet reached these trees, but it was hovering just above them and was lighting the tops of them about ten minutes after this was taken. The light was this beautiful pink and blue. As usual, all suggestions and comments welcome. 0.7 sec, f/16, ISO 100, 65mm

4 Likes

The following is clearly not your vision but I hope you don’t mind if I insert it here.

It’s the little boy hiding behind his mother’s legs when guests appear at the front door.

I like your image very much. The grass is really well done. That’s often what photographers have trouble with in their composition. Separating the fg aspens from the bg with color is also well done. I think the story is about the little tree but that’s just how it grabs me.

2 Likes

Marvelous, I love it!

Superb. I can see both crop. I think the subtle pink on the trunks are just marvelous.

Both work for me. I’m really enjoying the blue on the background trees, gorgeous color all around… well done, Tony!

Beautiful light and color. @Igor_Doncov 's crop works for me, although the original is quite well done.

Beautiful! I like the yellow leaves against the blue in the background.

Tony, there’s a gently warm inviting sense to your view. The color shift from the foreground trees and grass to the shaded trees is a good touch.

Tony, the light and colors here are simply gorgeous, and your processing handles color perfectly. A couple things really really stand out for me. I love how the near aspens are more of a pure white, but fade to a cooler blue in the background. For me this gives the impression of having “ghost” trees that are apparitions of the trees in the foreground. And I love the color of the grass, and the fact that it is warmer and brighter than the aspen leaves themselves. As @Igor_Doncov noted the grass is really well handled.

I really like both your original composition, and Igor’s crop in his rework . This is one of those images where strong compositions are lurking everywhere. Here is a another possibility for consideration. This one places more emphasis on the ghost trees.

1 Like

Thank you. I love your crop too!

I hope you don’t mind another version. I rarely change someone elses interpretation as I think they usually know best. I cannot help thinking that the whole image centres around the extremely delicate balance of pastel colours and the relative weighting of each such that none either attract attention or in this case draw the eye anywhere save for the simple pleasure of gazing at the image in its entirety. I think this squarer crop does that with marginal reduction in hue of the foreground grasses and the blue cast on the trunks juxtaposed with the volume of the delicate shimmering gold canopy. I do hope you print it big and hang it on a wall. It’s gorgeous.

What a shot…these colors are gorgeous. Masterfully processed to my eye. You have a real winner here. Just love the innuendo with the conifer. So much to love about this shot…surely a portfolio shot for you Tony!

Thanks for all of the kind words everybody! And I really do love all the crop versions. The back story of this photo file is that it sat un processed on my hard drive since last autumn because on first glance it didn’t look like a keeper. It was only with all the time I have on my hands now that I went back and started playing with it. The version I posted is actually a 50% crop of a larger photo that had water in front of the grass. For some inexplicable reason it didn’t occur to me to crop out the water, which really ruined the composition. It’s a mystery how creativity works sometimes…