At the Hub of Diffraction

Nothing gets me more in the zone than the sun shining at the right angle into a spider’s web. This web was about 8 cm across. I doubt that its owner saw the light show, but I certainly enjoyed it!

Specific Feedback Requested

If you compare this shot with the one below, you’ll see that each strand has a consistent diffraction pattern.

I had to touch up one or two sections of the web (highlights, prey), but I hope this is not too visible.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D 500 + 105mm macro lens Photo 1: f4.5 1/1250 ISO 800
Photo 2: f9 1/400 ISO 400

ACR: Auto , then Blacks and Whites, a little Clarity and Vibrance . Both then given Topaz Denoise, PS Shadows and Curves. Picture 2 Unsharp Mask for the spider.

2 Likes

Wow these are fabulous. The evenness of the color through the web is a treat. I hope it didn’t require too many contortions, but it was worth it. Only 8cm? it seems bigger. I can’t decide which I like better.

Fantastic, Mike. This is an amazing capture. Your handling of the post processing works quite well in highlighting the web refractions. Even the original is stunning. My hope is that one of these days I’ll get my 105mm to work as well. Very nicely seen and captured.

Wow, Mike, this is fantastic. I am enjoying the colors so much. I think I like the second shot over the first, but I would be thrilled if either one was mine! Excellent shot!

Wow, these are beautiful. I can see how you would get into the zone. They are mesmerizing! My head almost starts to swirl when I look at these!

This is a great image of nature. A simple composition and vivid colors. I feel the second framing is the stronger of the two. I personally would like to see the lower front of the spider opened up a bit but it isn’t that important.

I am assuming that the width of the retractions was due to movement in the web strands. If so how did you get that with the fast shutter speeds listed?

Looks like that spider was on LSD. These are so creative. Mesmerizing. How did you get the strands to look like they are vibrating?

@Chris_Baird The strands move in the wind and I also move with the camera and click when I see good vibrations - nothing complicated.

@Guy_Manning I played hit and miss with the settings. These shutter speeds (and apertures) achieved the best compromise between the intense strand colours and the background, which I wanted as dark as possible.

So awesome! I could see these blown up and hung on the wall of some hipster coffee shop! Such a great capture!

Mike: I love spider webs and as an optics guy I love what the light has given you here. Spectacular images. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Ask me about the smile when you get this frame …beautiful work

Balan Vinod