At the top of the hill

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I love the Val d’Orcia in Tuscany that I want to explore again in all the different seasons. This and the next photos are taken this spring. The sunset was just begun creating long shadows and soft light and color contrasts.

Specific Feedback

Should I increase the color contrast and how could I do it?

Technical Details

Z7ii, Nikkor 70-200mm at 200mm - f/11, ISO 64, 1/90s

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

This is a lovely scene! The warm coloration is very attractive and appealing. I’m not viewing this from my desktop where I do my processing so I will refrain from comments that require a good, calibrated monitor to view. I enjoy this composition a lot especially where the hilltop in the distant right fills the void created by the sloping terrain. The late afternoon light created some beautiful shadows which add depth and texture. I’m enjoying this quite a bit. Well done.

Beautiful image. Love the calm mood imparted here. Great warm colors and nice compsition.

This is really beautiful. I love the warmth in sky and in the image as a whole and like the shadows in the foreground hills.

Lovely shadows created by that late light Giuseppe.

My impression is a strong reddish-yellow cast. That makes for a nice effect, but my guess is that the only way to increase color contrast would be to move some parts cooler; that may not be an affect your looking for. You could do that in several ways, including a curves layer in rgb set to color mode, or by using a and b channel curves in lab.

Gigi, this is a lovely scene with the lighting letting the textures dominate the view. I also don’t think that more color contrast is needed, but some mid-tone dodging in the central ridge might let it’s textures and the farm play a stronger role.

@Bill_Chambers, @Michael_Lowe, @Tom_Nevesely thanks for your appreciated and pleasant comments.

@John_Williams thanks for your appreciated advices. I have worked in Curves for better colors and light contrasts. Now I surly prefer the new version that I have posted at the top and I hope that you like it too. I have tried the two channels of LAB but the result is not better.
@Mark_Seaver thanks to you too for the pleasant comment and your suggestion. I have tried to give evidence to the subject by adjusting the middle tones and locating a bit of sharpening. Have I do it?

1 Like