Attack Mode

While the wing position of this is a tad awkward, I liked the head on intense stare as this Red-tailed Hawk left it’s perch. This is the same bird as my last post launching off a different perch. In this case it went to the ground and grabbed a vole.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I increased the blue saturation on the sky quite a bit to try to get something besides white, but I think it gave me a touch of blue fringe-is it too obvious?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I removed a few stray branches, but left the one that served as a perch to show the launch point. Would it work better without it?

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 388 mm, hand held, f/6.3, 1/2500, iso 800, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 6.3 MP (my original Digital Rebel resolution).

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Cool pose you caught Dennis… There is some noise on the bird, surprising at iso800?

I may have pushed the Topaz Detail micro contrast a bit far, Dan. That could be the noise issue you’re seeing.

I like the pose and think you need the perch because this is pretty clearly a “launch” pose. It never crossed my mind that you messed with the sky, so it looks good to me. My first thought when opening it was that the hawk was very noisy. Worth a redo, IMO.