Rough-legged Hawk

My first morning out in the Skagit Valley, I ran across this extremely cooperative hawk. Unfortunately, the preserve I was at had a very high chain link fence that blocked the angle I wanted. However, I found a nice piece of driftwood handy that I was able to use as a booster and balance the lens on the top of the fence for this shot (and a whole bunch of others). The hawk has a bit of feather or something stuck on the far side of its beak so it really looks odd with the opposite head turn.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything you notice.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

How does this composition work.

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, balanced on fence, f/8, 1/500, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 9.9 MP. Taken at 9:32 am on January 11th under cloudy skies.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very cool Dennis. Excellent techs, good isolation and a very soft creamy background isolate the hawk beautifully.

Great subject that isn’t photographed often. The BG is excellent, and the even light is very nice. The bird looks like it needs a bit more sharpening, and my preference is for natural perches. Looking forward to more of this fellow!

Nice soft light and details. I also think you could sharpen the head a tad more.

Interesting story and setup, Dennis. Judging from the pose it looks like a chilly day. For me the loose comp works very well, because it’s a raptor looking over its territory. Your soft light and colors of the BG are a bonus. Would be interesting, if you have it, to see a version with a bit more of the perch.

Hi Dennis,

The crop looks fine and I loke the comp. I would leave this one as is, but if you so desire, you can bump up the midtone contrast which should make those feathers more crisp. Well done…Jim.

A pleasing capture of a species we don’t see on this forum often enough, Dennis. Good head turn and background, and a nice look at the plumage in soft light. Others have noted the softness in the head, but I think that may also be due to the background. Re composition, I think a more vertical frame, may suit this better.