Autumn Impressions

Late autumn in west Michigan… what’s not to love?! This was taken at a state park near my home the day I got my camera body back from being repaired. ICM is a favorite technique, and I try to do more than the expected horizontal or vertical panning; a shimmy movement (used here) can create a lovely dynamic texture without completely obscuring the subject. That’s what I was aiming for here.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m particularly interested in knowing how you perceive the ICM technique and its impact on the scene and how you experience the image. Constructive comments on balance, processing, crop, etc. are welcome.

Technical Details

ISO200, 70mm, f/11, .8", light jittery motion, single exposure. Processed in LR with the texture and clarity sliders seeing the most action.

Beth

I don’t have any issues with ICM imagery. It is something I use to do some time ago, but for whatever reason I stop doing them. I enjoy various ICM images when they are done nicely and look good. I feel it’s another creative technique that can be done in camera similar to long exposures.

With your image, I think it is fine. I would clone the bright area at the very top of the frame. I feel that little bright area isn’t consistent with the rest of the textures in the image. I would consider adding a little mid tone contrast. Lastly, since this was captured with a brighter light you have a yellow color cast. I would maybe add a little blue + cyan to the image with a color balance adjustment layer in PS. Those tweaks will make those subtle reds and oranges pop against the yellows/greens. You will still have a little color cast after the adjustments, but it won’t be as strong or apparent.

DT

Thanks, David, for taking time to offer your feedback on the processing. I don’t expect that you revisit critiqued images, but thought I’d share the edits I made based on your feedback to see if I’m closer to the mark. Anyone else who wants to comment is welcome! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

MUCH BETTER BETH!!! :clap: :pray:

1 Like

Thanks so much, David! I so appreciate your thoughtful feedback.

1 Like