Autumn - Natural Frame

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is the result of my search for a natural frame using vivid falls colors.
I took this in November of 22, I meant to process it back then but it got pushed aside until now.
The colors were pretty vivid for about four days last fall, then they seemed to quickly turn muted and dull looking, I did boost the colors in this image to some degree.
I also added a bit of Orton Effect and some selective blurring to the BG.
BTW, there was a small section of chain link fencing that I didn’t want so I decided to try the new Generative Fill tool in Ps to remove that fence.
I have learned that Generative Fill is a good tool for removing unwanted elements and it saves a lot of time and work but I am placing my own limits on that tool, I will not be using it to generate elements that were not there before. Of course you could argue that the element being removed has to be filled with something that wasn’t there before but the way it works for removing elements (not trying to generate something that was never in the scene to begin with), it analyzes the surrounding area of the image and uses that information for the fill. This approach is basically the same as cloning in general terms IMHO (In other words, I can do the same thing using the clone tools but in far less time).
*Tips on using the Generative Fill tool:

1. Select small sections of the element you want remove so it will fill in with whatever is behind it or beside of it.
  2. Selecting small areas will maintain the original resolution quality, 1024 pixels is the limit for selection size in the Beta version, beyond that size of selection will results in poor image quality.
    I believe this new tool is very similar to using Clone tools, Content Aware Fill or the new Remove tool if the goal does not involve trying to deceive the viewer.

Specific Feedback

I am specifically interested in feedback on the color, color saturation and luminance or perceived brightness.
Did I go too far with the saturation and/or contrast?
Does the color cast on the grass look right?
I lowered the brightness of some of the overhead leaves because they were quite bright in the original, does that part look OK? Or should I brighten them up a bit?

Technical Details

A7RIV, 18-105mm lens (older APS-C lens), 80mm (120mm equivalent in full frame format), 1/250s, f/8 (f/12 in full frame format), ISO 160, Ps for all edits.

4 Likes

Kind of fun to see a fall image this time of year when it’s just turned all green.

Did I go too far with the saturation and/or contrast?
I don’t think so, no.

Does the color cast on the grass look right?
It looks right to me - sort of sere, but with some color remaining.

I lowered the brightness of some of the overhead leaves because they were quite bright in the original, does that part look OK?
The overhead leaves look processed, but fine within the overall scene.

Or should I brighten them up a bit?
You could give the reds a boost since they seem to be a lot darker.

The framing trees are a bit heavy for my taste. They look as if you did put them there with Generative Fill though I know you didn’t, just removed a fence. I wish there was some space on either side of them or that they were further back in the composition. As is they seem like a strange doorway or human made object. Lots of visual weight that I can’t help returning to, when I’d rather be further in with the trees.

I am not using the Beta version of Ps, but have found the new Remove tool quite effective at doing what you describe. I can’t believe the amount of stuff I can remove without it looking weird or having to correct a lot of problems. I haven’t decided what, if anything, I’m going to do with G.F. when it hits the release version.

Merv, this is outstanding. I really like your finished product here. I do not use the Orton effect, but really enjoy it if not overdone or too overbearing. This is very nice. I do like the two big trees framing the scene too… :+1:
No thoughts for change at all…very nice indeed… :sunglasses:

1 Like

This is absolutely gorgeous, Merv! At first I thought it was an ICM image, it looks so painterly. Must be the Orton affect. I love everything about it, the colors, composition,the framing… The colors are nice and muted, kind of like the toned down end of fall, my personal favorite. Beautiful work!

1 Like

Excellent! All said above – there is an ethereal effect here, both from visualization and processing. The trunks on the sides do feel a little heavy – I wonder if they can be lightened, or, as @Kris_Smith said, moved farther into the scene – or both. I also wonder about lightening the top leaves a bit – the framing is intriguing but feels just a bit contrived.

Hi Merv,
wow, that looks beautiful. I love the composition. The overall colors and the contrast look good to me.

I agree with the others, about the framing trees.

When I first saw your image, I thought the Orton effect was a little bit too much for my liking (I was about to put on my reading glasses, then I realized I already had them on :rofl: ). But then I viewed the image in full size and everything was fine.

I think the lighter yellow leaves in the left third look like they have been darkened. Maybe you can push the slightly.

Thanks for the instructions. Good to hear that this is a useful tool. I have not installed the beta version yet.

1 Like

Beautiful photo Merv. I am a fan of soft focus or the Orton effect. I was scrolling through the photos and your photo stood out right away. As always, I’m late to comment, but I wouldn’t change anything. I feel like I’m looking through a window or door with the trees as the door frames. If you like the “natural” frame of the trees, then leave them. If not, then maybe soften them or lighten them a bit. Well done!

1 Like

Thank you @Kris_Smith, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Vanessa_Hill, @Diane_Miller, @Jens_Ober and @robertakayne, I appreciate all of the comments and kind words! :slight_smile:

I tried cropping the sides to eliminate the heavy feel mentioned but it just didn’t feel right, it seemed to lose the balance with the amount of overhead foliage so I think I’ll leave it as it is, but thank you for your thoughts.

And of course, the natural frame or having the feeling of being in a natural doorway was what I as after (as mentioned in the description and in the title), so, it seems that I achieved my goal :smiley:

I very rarely use the Orton effect but this one seemed to invite it with the brighter area in the distance on the right, which is the only part of the image I used it on.
I put this image aside for so long because it just didn’t look good with everything in the BG in focus, it lacked the depth I was hoping for, later I decided to try the Neural Depth Bur tool and that made the difference for me. This made me wish I had used a much wider aperture but at the time, I had just started getting back into photography and I didn’t actually have a detailed artistic direction in mind so I simply captured it with everything in focus.

The yellow leaves mentioned in the left portion at the top are actually light green. The only parts of the top that were darkened was that large cluster of yellow on the right (the part that is still brighter than any others), that spot was hit pretty hard with sunlight and it was distracting so I darkened it.

That said, based on the comments, I will play around with trying to brighten up the darker sections across the top to sort of even it out, I think that’s the direction I need to take it so thank you very much for that as well! :slight_smile:

Your comments and suggestions are very much appreciated!! :slight_smile: