Autumn Reflection II

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is another reflection shot made on the workshop I described in the last post. It was a beautiful, blue sky day (not great for landscape photography, but this workshop was focused on IR). With my trusty iPhone, I captured a number of reflections in different bodies of water. Fun!

Specific Feedback

How do the colors and their distribution work for you? Will appreciate any thoughts on this image!

Technical Details

This is another iPhone 13 ProMax image.

Another beauty, Susanna. I do find the large amount of white at the top tends to pull my eye up and out of the image. I think a tighter crop would take care of that issue easily.

Thanks so much, Dennis. I agree with you. I was looking at it and thinking about actually flipping it upside down to reverse those bright and dark values. I may try that. Also, the idea of just brightening the LRC and toning down the top might help. I’ll do a repost tomorrow.

Excellent watercolor qualities about this one Susanna! Really liking the colors and the ripples.
That’s great you were able to capture this with a smartphone. The best camera is the one that you have with you.

I agree about the brighter tones up top and was going to suggest as light increase in luminosity in the those darker tones in the lower right.

I agree with Dennis. This is a beauty. The colors here are more convincing than in the other one you posted. The lighter tones in the upper right could use some taming but otherwise I’m not sure I’d change anything.

Susanna, that is a true beauty! I like the watercolor feel the image brings to my eyes. I especially like the band of warm tones and the pattern they have created. I do agree with everyone’s assessment about the bright tones on the top. I also think that pulling down the highlights on that bright line to the right of the orange band would really even out the luminosity in the whole image and make it even more pleasing. Excellent work!

Beautiful. Well done.

Thanks so much @Alfredo_Mora, @Don_Peters, @EgĂ­dio, @Igor_Doncov for your comments! I will work with all of your suggestions and see where it ends up! Will repost in a day or two.

I’m not sure that cropping from the top to remove the brightness is such a good idea. Part of the attraction to this image is how the white extends from top downward. Having the white there gives it a beginning. Otherwise it’s cut off by the frame.

1 Like

Beautiful color palette. Try cropping the vertical image from the left edge so that you remove 3/5 of the right part. Here, some kind of Orton efect could also soften the harsh light

Thanks so much, @jorma for your suggestion. I’ve got to say that I’m not a “cropper” except minimally. So either I get it, or I don’t. It looks like I didn’t quite get it this time. un:slightly_smiling_face: But, I may try the Orton effect on it or may soften it in other ways.