Autumn Reflection

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I shot this a year or two ago. Our autumn color that year was wonderful. (It’s looking like we’ll have another good year in 2023!) The color was so rich that it didn’t need much done to it.

Specific Feedback

Does it work?! I always appreciate feedback. Thanks!

Technical Details

I don’t have the camera data, but I’m pretty sure this is an iPhone 13 ProMax photo. It was taken on a workshop that I was leading. I don’t haul out my DSLRs when teaching, but do use the iPhone if there’s a scene I can’t resist!

1 Like

This certainly works for me, Susanna. The rippled reflections are awesome and the two circular ripples add a nice touch. I don’t have a computer with my editing software handy to point it out, but about 1/3 of the way from the right edge and toward the top there’s a short very bright tan line that is a bit disruptive to my eye. That’s my only nit and it’s an awfully small one.

Beautiful abstract reflection image Susanna! Wonderful colors and the aspen trunks add enough interest. The only area that seems incongruent with the rest of the image in terms of color is the upper right section. I’d like to recommend a crop off the top to perhaps a 9x10. Thanks!

I really like this as is and I personally wouldn’t change a thing. Really nice work!

Wonderful reflection image. The reds/pinks grabbed my attention initially and then with more time I came to appreciate the greens as well. This is just my personal take, but the yellows in the left of the frame feel like they are grabbing more attention than perhaps they should? If it were my image I would consider de-saturating the yellows, but it all depends on what you want to say.

Thanks so much, @Dennis_Plank, @DeanRoyer, @Tom_Nevesely, and @Alfredo_Mora for your feedback! I see the point of the greens in the URC and the yellows in the ULC. I’ll take a look and repost a modified version. Cheers!