Autumn waterfall #2 + rework

REWORK based on comments

ORIGINAL

This is my second image of waterfalls taken during the September workshop in Härjedalen, Sweden. The place is the creek Livsätraån which have several small falls like this one.

Here of course I like the terraces and the fall foliage, but also the combination of white, blue and orange water.

I included the “boring triangle” at the top since I wanted to include a part of the birches at the top of the fall. One alternative is of course to crop from the top.

The water is flowing out of the frame near the LRC, maybe that should have been more accentuated (by adding some white streaks)?

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome!

Technical Details

4 sec., f/22, ISO 64, 40-150 mm lens at 40 mm (80 mm equiv.), Olympus camera OM-D E-M1X

2 Likes

Ola, this is a lovely scene. I like the straight on, centering of the waterfall with great framing around it. The sky is fine, although a crop would work as well. At first I felt the foreground rocks were blocking my view of the water, keeping my eye from traveling up, but the more I looked the more I liked it. Terrific image, Ola.

Ola,

Picture postard comes to mind! Beautiful scene, captured beautifully. The tiers, layers in this scene are wonderful! And to the flow of the water - I don’t believe this image is about that flow, so the water exiting in the LRC is not something I was even thinking about - and only commenting because you mentioned it. Not an issue.

I do think there is a lot to this composition bottom to top. I actually like the flat, lichen-covered rock at the bottom and would favor a crop without the trees and sky up top. Conversely, if you like the trees up top, then you might consider cropping out the rock at the bottom. I would be inclined to keep the rock and loose the sky. In fact, I really like the expanding width of the tiers of rock as the water falls down through the scene.

And like David, I like how the water is coming straight at you. Very nice perspective. Well done!

Lon

There’s a lot to like here, but I think you could have excluded the sky and it would have been more successful. As it is, I feel you pushed the highlights down and the sky looks muddy now. I really dig the layers here!

@Lon_Overacker, @David_Bostock and @Matt_Payne thanks for your kind comments and advice.

I will consider to crop at the top to get rid of the sky - Only include parts that will support the main subject!

1 Like

I’m going to echo Matt. I love the scene but my eye wants to go to the waterfall. Excluding the sky would definitely help push the eye to the water and all of the cascading goodness!

1 Like

@David_Johnston thanks for your kind comments and advice.
Agree with the crop proposal from you and others, a rework is added at the top.