Autumn woods

Any feedback is welcome. Please CC my composition. Did I go overboard with the saturation?

My instragram is @niknagane

1 Like

Forest compositions are difficult and I think you did a good job. It is nicely balanced. If your editing style permits, I would get rid of a few of the small branches, especially in the upper right (I use the Spot Healing Brush in PS). I would also slightly darken the bright yellow leaves in the upper center. And yes, I do think the reds are over saturated, but as I am sure you will soon discover, others will disagree.

This colorful scene has imact from edge to edge. Nicely exposed and fine detail.
You could consider burning a few places: the bottom light green to reduce their attractiveness, some other areas to create a sense of depth, maybe the yellow center to let it harmonize with the choir.

Nikhil,
This is a lovely woodland autumn scene and I think you did a very nice job of spreading out the color across the image. I actually like the saturation although some folks might say the reds are a little intense. I have a Nikon D800 and I know from experience that I have to check the histogram and expose for the reds; making sure they are not clipped; when shooting fall scenes or else they will be overexposed. My only suggestion would be to clone out the couple of limbs in the URC and tone down the yellows just a bit toward the center top of the frame. Beautifully done.

1 Like

I think you have a nice medley of green and autumn colors. The arrangement of tree trunks creates some structure within the composition, and I think your spacing of the trees within the comp is very well handled too. If you leave the composition as presented, I agree with @Ed_Lowe about cloning away branches in the URC. However I think a slight crop from the top might help here too, it would eliminate some bare branches that lead the viewers eye out of the frame.

In terms of saturation, I think it’s bordering on over-saturated reds but acceptable for my taste. I live in New England, and have shot autumn for many years. These red maples are exactly the way you see them in real life (especially with wet leaves). Photographers from out west who have never shot back east might think this red saturation is overdone, but it is realistic. If you want to dial down their intensity, I find using Lightroom HSL tweaks to increase Red luminosity and decrease red saturation can help. But it is easy to overdo it, so be careful, otherwise the reds lose their vibrance. I do agree with @Ed_Lowe about toning down the yellow leaf cluster in the center. The yellow is not over-saturated, but it’s luminosity draws attention away from the red / green contrast, which to me is the star of the show here. I also prefer your greens, and yellow/greens the way they were originally presented, I would not burn them down.