Autumn gold

The green and gold of the larches together with the warm browns of the ferns caught my eye.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does it work composition wise? All feedback is very much appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5d4, iso 200, 1.0 sec, Canon 24-105, @95, f/16,CPL, tripod, cable release
TK luminosity masks in PS, a bit of Orton, a few stems of the ferns cloned out

Those warm colors are quite inviting. And I love the larch trunks receding into the background. They really draw my eye into the scene. A couple of things caught my eye. That larger tree on the right is very close the edge of the frame - just a tiny bit more room on the right would “feel” better. And the color balance feels too warm, although I may be way off base here, having never seen a larch forest in the fall. I think perhaps cooling it a bit, to bring some cooler tones into the larch trunks might give it more depth. Here is my idea.

1 Like

The repost takes this up a notch, terrific forest comp with the receding trees and that nice FG fern…I would remove the vertical white stick below the fern.

I too love the combination of the larch and fern; it’s a beautiful forest. I strongly prefer Bonnie’s suggestion on the color.

Igor, the color combo with the trees and the ferns works very well. I find your composition somewhat different but think that it also is interesting, with a mixed emphasis in the branches on the left and the pull into the forest towards the right. While Bonnie’s colors pop, I’m not sure how realistic they are. Maybe something in between???

Larch are one of my favorite trees species to photograph, I enjoy seeing them being showcased here. Igor, I like your composition, there is a nice sense of depth, and I think you carefully thought out the arrangement of the trees. I like that lane of open space through the bracken fern on the right, it does a lot to promote a sense of depth. I like where @Bonnie_Lampley took this with her rework. The trunks of the trees and the ferns are noticeably improved to my eye, a little color separation between green and yellow makes a nice difference. I can’t speak to the color of larch needles in Europe, but if they are similar to what we have in New England, Igor’s original colors for them look a bit more accurate, a slight orange tint in the yellow, instead of more yellow in the rework. Really nice forest intimate scene here Igor, well done.

1 Like

To @Bonnie_Lampley, @Dan_Kearl, @John_Williams, @Mark_Seaver and @Ed_McGuirk, thanks very much for your feedback. Both helpful and encouraging. About the tree on the right, unfortunately I don’t have more space. My hero, John Shaw, says: ‘crop tightly’. So that is what I do, this time too tightly… I’ll have to watch the boundaries of the frame more carefully in the future. About colour, I like the rework of @Bonnie_Lampley. Not sure whether it is more natural, but definitively an improvement by providing more separation. I find it very hard to remember colours. I do carry a grey card in my bag, but I still have to learn to use it on a regular basis.

My motto is “compose slightly looser than you think you need, crop later at the computer”.

Hi @Igor_Hoveijn, in my opinion the trees are not enough separated so I feel the scene chaotic. I like the light and how you processed it. Thanks for sharing