Larches and blueberries in autumn

Hi,
my first image to share with this community!
A few weeks ago I stayed a week in the Alpes Maritimes, southern France, to hike with my daughter. Although a bit early in the season, there were the first signs of autumn. On a dreary day we walked under larches, some very old. The showed all the shades between yellow/green and orange. On the ground were blueberries, their leaves already red. It was difficult to capture the magic atmosphere that we walked in.

I would like your comments on the composition, and of course all other remarks are welcome

Any pertinent technical details:

Camera: Pentax K5, 16-45mm @20mm, ISO400, 1/60s, f/11

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Welcome to NPN Han, and this is a very nice first image. I really enjoy the busy foreground, especially the variety of textures and colors. Even though this is France, it bears a remarkable resemblance to northern Alabama and the Smoky Mountains in the USA. I find this image to be very pleasing to gaze at and it is very peaceful.

Welcome aboard, Han. I am really enjoying your first post. The rocks given a nice detailed foreground and accented nicely by all the color. I might experiment with cropping off the trunk on the right side, but really minor. I am enjoying this image. I am looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Han, welcome to NPN and what a lovely autumn scene and first post.

This is very nicely composed. I like the scattered rock/boulders and splattering of fall color on the ground -in addition to the autumn larches. The patches of red throughout are nice addition of color.

I like Harley’s idea of cropping off the trunk on the right; it’s one of those times where you either want to see more of that tree, or not at all.

The only processing suggestion I have would be to boost the lights a bit, especially in the yellows in the larch trees, but also maybe globally. You could use a Lights mask (if you use TK’s luminosity masks) or you can use the B&W technique using a B&W layer in the Luminosity blending more. Check out the Processing discussion forum - I believe Preston posted the technique there.

Welcome. Look forward to more posts.

Lon

Thanks to all of you, a pleasant surprise to get this response so quickly.

I totally understand the suggestion of cropping off the trunk on the right: the tree should be there completely or not at all. I actually tried it when I processed the image, but somehow I had a feeling that the balance was last a bit. Maybe because there are still (yellow, conspicuous) branches of the tree visible if I leave out the trunk. But I’ll try again!

This is really well seen and different. I appreciate your vision and the ability to see beauty in this, what appears to be such a common scene. I agree that adjusting the white point would bring a bit more life to the image.

Also, the scene looks a bit unnaturally warm. Granite has a cooler look to it. The reds are especially strong. But actually I often like unnatural colors if they work well together. It’s just such a strong composition that I feel you don’t need to push the colors like that to carry it. This actually looks great in b&w as well.

Wonderful first image and looking forward for more of your creations.

Han, this is a really nice subject with a lot of interesting shapes and textures. And I think you have a good composition with a lot depth to it. I agree with Igor that it feels too warm. I also think the color balance could be tweaked here to get better separation of colors. I would increase blue to cool this down, and I would increase green. This achieves a better separation of the red bushes from the grass, which makes the bushes stand out more, and it creates more color contrast in the larches between their green and yellow colors. Something like this…

@Ed_McGuirk and @Igor_Doncov, you’re right. I corrected the color balance and got a better image.
Thanks!