Late autumn colours

Hello, I am a new NPN member and this is the first image I am submitting for any type of feedback (artistic, technical, post processing) you may have.

2 Likes

If this was my shot I would not change a thing. Most excellent. Welcome aboard, by the way,

Greetings Dave, thank you for taking the time to look at my picture. I am very impressed with the quality of the images across all photographic genres and with the content of the articles I read thus far. Take care.

I’m looking forward to seeing more of your photos.

d

This is really lovely. Serene, balanced, and the color palette is great. I really enjoy the reflections and the way they painted in the water. Nicely done!

Welcome to NPN. This is a fine introductory image, certainly better than mine years ago. My greatest interest in critiquing images is composition. One recommendation for this image has to do with those trees. The trees and their reflections cross the entire image from edge to edge. This fragments the composition. You will notice in forest scenes people always include at least the base of a tree and often the top as well. This is done to prevent this from happening. People will often comment about the edge of a tree being too close to the frame. But this fragmentation of a composition is also important. Hope that helps in the future. Just a suggestion on how to make a good picture even better.

Richard, welcome to NPN, this is a great first post. Reflections don’t get much better than this, the choice of shutter speed rendered the reflections beautifully. And the processing of exposure, contrast, and color looks right on the money. I am also a big fan of photographing tamarack (larch) trees in autumn, they often don’t get as much love as autumn deciduous trees, but I think they have their own beauty.

@Igor_Doncov , in terms of fragmentation, are you talking about edge to edge in terms of left to right, or top to bottom, or both? It wasn’t clear to me what edges you were talking about. Personally, I am slightly bothered by tips of the tamaracks (and their reflections) being cut off at the top and bottom edges on the left side. I would prefer to see a little more breathing room there.

My only other suggestion would be to clone away the floating debris in the lower right corner (LRC), if your ethics allow for that kind of thing.

I meant top and bottom.

Hello Igor,
Thank you so much for your constructive feedback. I will definitely pay attention to elements that fragments the composition from now on. Take care.

hi Richard,

Welcome to the community.

I like the bright yellows set against the dar ever greens. This colour contrast gives the image impact.

I think @Igor_Doncov suggestion on the vertical lines has merit. I’d be tempted to do a bit of clone stamping.

Welcome aboard, Richard. Beautiful first post. I would agree with @Igor_Doncov 's thoughts on the comp. I find my attention drifting toward the cutoff colors trees, but not an image killer. And I suspect something that would not be noticed by a non-photographer. I am looking forward to seeing more of your work and reading your insights into the work of others.

Hello Harley, thank you for visiting my first post. Indeed, I totally agree with Igor’s feedback as well as Nathan’s suggestion to clone the lower right section of the image. I made a couple of edits and the result is better at least to my eyes.

Great shot! I wouldn’t change anything. The quality of light here is wonderful. Those blurred reflections are great. I wonder what this scene would look like at dawn on a foggy morning… Nice work!

Hello Marc, thank you for your comments. I am with you regarding what this scene would look like during a foggy morning. I re-visited this site several times to find new compositions but I didn’t get any morning fog up to now. That’s my story as an amateur landscape hobbyist: 8 or 9 times out of 10, mother nature doesn’t do its magic and I try to do the best with the weather conditions I am presented with. However, I always enjoy being outside appreciating the serenity of the moment and a good picture is a bonus.

1 Like