Larches in autumn

This is another image from the Alpes-Maritimes, made on the same day as the image I posted a few weeks ago. The altitude is about 6000ft, the leaves of the blueberries on the ground are red already and the larches are turning yellow.
I made several versions of it. The camera WB was a bit off, so I borrowed the settings from another image with a good, neutral overcast sky. The mood that day was magical, fairy-like. Overcast sky, sometimes drizzling, so wet that it was on the edge of thin fog. I think I lost that mood a bit in the processing, it’s different compared with the rest of the series, but it might be better as a stand-alone image.
I’m interested in all remarks wrt color, mood and composition. I cropped the original image a bit on both edges, to remove the “half trunks” of trees. I tried what it looks like when I remove the dark rock in the lower right, a bit above the bottom, and I’m not sure if that’s an improvement.
Shoot at it, please.

Technical details:
Camera Pentax K5, ISO400, 1/60s, f11, DA16-45mm @23mm

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Beautiful scene. The hint of the path provides a fine leading line and the tree and rock add a frame. The processing looks good to me and makes for a fine inviting mood to the image.

Han,

Excellent autumn scene. Agree with Harley’s comments and especially the sense of a path leading the eye in to the scene to explore these great trees and finding those patches of red.

I wouldn’t crop any more from the right. I think the trees in the URC help frame the scene; especially since they’re leaning in a tad. While I don’t mind the inclusion of the tree on the left, I do wish there was a bit more space to the left to include more of the base. But then from your description, sounds like another trunk comes in to play, so I suspect you made the best call.

Overall a pleasing and nicely processed image.

Lon