Larch Valley

I was lucky enough to be in the rockies this fall when the larch trees were at their peak. The weather was variable but that’s part of the deal in autumn. Luckily the sun poked out for a few minutes which illuminated the foreground while leaving the peaks relatively dark. The contrasts of both tone and colour seemed to make the lash trees pop.

What technical feedback would you like if any? any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@nathankleinphotos

2 Likes

Nathan, the layering is just perfect. I really enjoy the light on the larches, very very pretty, while the background looks quite foreboding. The parallel lines made by the mountain and the top of the larch on the left are quite pleasing. With this aspect ratio, it feels like looking at a flag after a while, eh?

Nathan, I like this image a lot. In my one visit to the Canadian Rockies in September, the larch trees impressed me more than the aspen trees did.

I like the repetition of shapes in the image. The jagged tops of the mountain repeat the shapes of the trees below. And as @Adhika_Lie pointed out, there is a repetition of lines and layers between the mountain and trees as well. The processing of the sky is good, it is not too contrasty while still having an ominous look. i also like how there are some spruce trees interspersed among the larch, it’s a nice small touch. Great work on this one…

Beautiful light, color and layers. I have never been lucky enough to see the larch trees change, but they sure do look sweet. Very nicely done.

I played with this as a B&W conversion. Pushing yellow luminosity in B&W does some great things for the larch trees. I think this is one of those images that is strong in both color and B&W.

thanks @Adhika_Lie, @Ed_McGuirk @Ed_McGuirk

Interesting Ed as I never thought of B&W - probably because similarly to lupines many people think of autumn larch with colour. I’ll keep experimenting.