Larch Tree Ridge

This ridge full of backlit larch trees against a dark mountain range immediately caught my attention while hiking in the Austrian Alps. What I like most about this image is its colour contrast and overall simplicity. It’s a beautiful “small” scene in an otherwise grand landscape.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is welcome!

Technical Details

Sony a7 III with Sigma 100-400mm at 355mm + CPL
f11, ISO 100, 1/40 s, tripod (obviously :smile:)
“Cheater pano” upscaled by Topaz Photo AI
I spent a lot of time getting the colors just right and adding local contrast via dodging & burning.

1 Like

Hi Martin,

Nice scene here, I enjoy the natural color cast of the sunlight yellows and the shaded blue background. You also nailed it with the WB. I think the main thing here is I wish you had slightly panned up to include a little less of the dirt hill–since it’s the least interesting–and included more of the granite wall–since it’s the most interesting. I would have tried to include as little of that dirt as possible. Besides that, I think you could clone out some of the bright/white specks in the dirt to smooth it out a bit and darken some of the larger ones.

1 Like

Hi Eric,
thank you so much for the feedback, really appreciate it a lot. Regarding composition, I think that I might have run into the limits of my gear in terms of focal length or resolution but I get what you mean. Luckily I can return to this spot any time I like and improve on this image :smiley:

1 Like