Larch Tree Ridge

This ridge full of backlit larch trees against a dark mountain range immediately caught my attention while hiking in the Austrian Alps. What I like most about this image is its colour contrast and overall simplicity. It’s a beautiful small scene in an otherwise grand landscape.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is welcome!

Technical Details

Sony a7 III with Sigma 100-400mm at 355mm + CPL
f11, ISO 100, 1/40 s, tripod (obviously :smile:)
Cheater Pano upscaled by Topaz Photo AI

7 Likes

Oh how I love tamaracks, especially when they’re backlit. I can see why this is a favorite for you. Blue and yellow always go well together. A natural fit. The only thing I might try is to clone the snow in the crags since they pull my eyes up there.

1 Like

Hi Martin
Yes, that is what struck me first about this image.

I like how you put that, the word “Small” doesn’t seem to describe the scene but I understand what you mean. :slight_smile:
I get a true sense of scale with the bluish gray mountain in the BG and the snow adds to the sense that it is cold at that elevation.

I also like the small portions of evergreen amongst the yellow larch trees.

The exposure level is spot on.
Great dynamic range as well, I enjoy seeing the details in the shadows in the FG.
It’s a joy to view so thanks for posting it.

1 Like

I love this image, Martin! The light on the trees is fantastic and the color and brightness contrast throughout are excellent! I’m glad that you used a narrow aperture as the detail in the rocks on the background mountain are part of what makes this impressive. I also like that you managed the exposure to get the light just right on the trees while still retaining detail in the dirt embankment below them. The diagonal line of the ridge is also a nice bonus! Very nicely seen and shot! Congratulations! :+1: :clap:

1 Like

I can only agree with what has been said. Although I would keep the snow. One minor suggestion would be to clone out the dead tree and the yellow patch in the LRC. Otherwise great image.

1 Like